Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 12 13:14:57 EST 2010

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * Stefan Behnel:
>> Alf P. Steinbach, 12.01.2010 12:51:
>>> Well how f*****g darn patient do they expect me to be?
>>>
>>> I've decided: I'm not.
>>>
>>> Oh sh**, just as I typed the period above the mail finally arrived.
>>> It's been, let's see,  about 20+ minutes!
>>>
>>> And still some miles to go.
>>>
>>> Somebody should say THANK YOU for all this effort, pointing out not
>>> just the bug but exactly what needs fixing, not whining about me not
>>> wasting half an hour on going through proper channels after already
>>> wasting much time on that bug!
>>
>> Maybe you should just stop using the module. Writing the code yourself
>> is certainly going to be faster than reporting that bug, don't you think?
>
> It's part of the standard Python distribution.
>
> Don't you think bugs in the standard library should be fixed?
>
> Anyways, is there any alternative for wave output in Windows except
> writing the thing from scratch?

For what it's worth, reporting the bug is the right decision. Had you
gone to the trouble of a rewrite and proposed your new module for the
standard library the first discovery you would have made is that nothing
gets accepted without a commitment of maintenance.

Clearly that would have been too much to accept when you merely wish to
correct a small-ish bug in an already satisfactory module.

Thanks again, and I hope the change gets into 3.2, and also the next 3.1
maintenance release. The only remaining requirement is some developer
time, but that is our scarcest resource.

regards
 Steve

PS: Next time it would have helped to include a URL to the issue.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue7681

    FYI there is already some feedback in the tracker.
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/