Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:42:10 EST 2010

On Jan 12, 9:33 am, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al... at start.no> wrote:

> Well, this is for my Python (actually, beginning programmer) writings, at
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/programmingbookP3

Thanks for writing this book.  I just had a quick look at the
beginning of it where you write:
===
As of this writing two main variants of the Python language are in
use, namely
Python 2.x and Python 3.x (versions 3.0 and greater). Mostly they’re
the same but the
effect of e.g. the / division operator changed in 3.0, so in practice
it’s hopeless to try
to create programs that work the same – or even just work – with both
variants.
===
Notwithstanding your experience (finding a bug in wave.py), this
statement is false.  There are plenty of non-trivial applications that
have been ported so that they work "as is" with both Python 2.x and
Python 3.x.   If you do a google search, I am sure that you can find
many examples proving this point.  For example, you may want to read:
http://mail.mems-exchange.org/durusmail/qp/441/ .... or try out
Crunchy  (http://code.google.com/p/crunchy).   It may be required to
isolate some small parts and do conditional imports ... but this is
fairly straightforward to do if one writes a new application.

André