Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Tue Jan 12 08:12:52 EST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:51:06 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> Oh sh**, just as I typed the period above the mail finally arrived. It's
> been, let's see,  about 20+ minutes!

Aren't you a little old to be suffering from the every decreasing
attention spans of the MTV generation? Email is not guaranteed to be
delivered at all, let alone instantly, and can on occasion be delayed by
days. A twenty minute delay is nothing to get cranky about.

Perhaps you should check the email headers to see where the delay was.
You're not using grey-listing by any chance are you?

> Somebody should say THANK YOU for all this effort, pointing out not
> just the bug but exactly what needs fixing, not whining about me not
> wasting half an hour on going through proper channels after already
> wasting much time on that bug!

You know the licence fees that you didn't pay for Python?

You know the thousands of dollars in yearly maintenance fees from the
vendor you didn't pay?

If you *had* paid them, do you think you'd be receiving any better
service? In my experience, I'd say that your ability to report bugs, let
alone patches that fix those bugs, would be even less with most
proprietary software.

So, with the greatest respect, and with a sense of sympathy for the
frustration you're feeling (as we all have, at times), I'd like to
suggest you stop your belly-aching and accept that even the best
libraries sometimes have bugs in them. You should be thankful that the
least you have had to pay is a few minutes to report a bug and 20 minutes
waiting for a confirmation email.

But in any case, even though I don't have any need for the module in
question, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a patch and
submit it. Without contributions like that, open source software would be
unable to thrive as it does.

--
Steven