lightweight encryption of text file

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Jan 10 23:22:50 EST 2010

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>> Right now, even asking for HTTPS support is too much to ask. Heck,
>> even asking for the fake HTTPS support to be identified as such is too
>> much, apparently.
>>
> No, Paul, nobody will complain if you *ask* ...

Er, that wasn't me...

> A question I've been asking myself quite a lot recently is how the PSF
> could, were funding to be available, direct the development of Python in
> specific directions,...

Crypto in the stdlib is not a matter of funding or (technical)
priorities.  It's a policy issue; the maintainers were (at least as of a
few years ago) concerned about legal restrictions on crypto in some
jurisdictions causing problems with distributing Python if it included
crypto.  I know that other systems (Java, Mozilla, etc) include crypto
but they may have had to jump through some hoops for that purpose.