Accessing python from a network share in windows 7

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Sat Jan 9 06:55:30 EST 2010

aj <mailtome200420032002 at gmail.com> writes:

> I access python from a network share. This works fine on XP but on
> windows 7 it throws the following error:
>
> Python 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec  4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on
> win32
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "t:\win32\python-2.6.1\lib\random.py", line 871, in <module>
>     _inst = Random()
>   File "t:\win32\python-2.6.1\lib\random.py", line 96, in __init__
>     self.seed(x)
>   File "t:\win32\python-2.6.1\lib\random.py", line 110, in seed
>     a = long(_hexlify(_urandom(16)), 16)
> WindowsError: [Error 127] The specified procedure could not be found
>
> Is there some security policy that I need to enable/disable to use
> python from a network on windows 7?

Well, there was just a complaint about this sort of thing on a local
newsgroup here. Specifically, someone was trying to execute a Windows
program from a share and every time Windows 7 pops up a warning window
saying that the program is maybe from the evil interwebby and are you
really sure you actually want to run it. So probably that's the
command line version of same.

Solution is apparently specifying your server to be in the local
intranet, in IE's security settings. Apparently there is a non-working
autodetection for what is a local intranet, so specifying the server
IP address by hand in the advanced settigns is the working solution.