C Structure rebuild with ctypes

Mark Tolonen metolone+gmane at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 00:28:21 EST 2010

"Georg" <nobody at nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:7qo9avFivmU1 at mid.individual.net...
> Hi Mark,
>
>> Are you passing in these values, or are they being returned?  To me the
>> depth of the pointer references implies numVars, varNames, and varTypes
>> are out parameters. I'll assume that for now.  If they are in/out
>> parameters let me know.
>
> If these parameters were in parameters. What would I have to do different?

If you are passing in the values, you can remove a level of * referencing,
since the parameters aren't being modified.  Note the syntax to create an
array:  (type * length)(initializers...):

--------------- func.c --------------------
#include <stdio.h>

__declspec(dllexport) void func(int numVars, char **varNames, int *varTypes)
{
    int i;
    printf("numVars = %d\n",numVars);
    for(i = 0; i < numVars; i++)
        printf("%d: %s\n",varTypes[i],varNames[i]);
}

--------------- func.py ------------------
import ctypes as c

# int func (int numVars, char **varNames, int *varTypes)

INT = c.c_int
PINT = c.POINTER(INT)
PCHAR = c.c_char_p
PPCHAR = c.POINTER(PCHAR)

func = c.CDLL('func').func
func.restype = None
func.argtypes = [INT,PPCHAR,PINT]

numVars = 3
varNames = (PCHAR * numVars)('abc','def','ghi')
varTypes = (INT * numVars)(1,2,3)

func(numVars,varNames,varTypes)

numVars = 3
1: abc