File transfer with python

Jan Kaliszewski zuo at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Jan 7 15:27:52 EST 2010

Valentin de Pablo Fouce <thimxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 ene, 22:42, "Jan Kaliszewski" <z... at chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
>> Valentin de Pablo Fouce <thi... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Ok, I am trying to do a very quick application (is "home based" so is
>> > not a big deal...). My intention is to transfer files from one
>> > computer to another.
>> > My intention is to be able to transfer files from one computer to
>> > another in this environment.
>>
>> > Looking (and surfing) at internet the only suggestion given is to use
>> > low level sockets for this file transfer. Is there another way to do
>> > it, is there any top level library that helps you to do that?
>>
>> Python standard library offers tools for HTTP communication (rather
>> easy to use) --

> Your solution looks quite nice...but one question, just by looking to
> it I think I will need to create an HTTP server on a "file" server PC,
> isn't it?

Yes, in case of such communication protocols like HTTP always one side
have a role of a serwer, and the other -- of a client. However, please
note that files can be both downloaded *from* serwer and uploaded *to*
serwer. You can also run *each* side both as a client *and* as a serwer
(though it's rather unnecessary...).

Cheers,
*j