GUI for multiplatform multimedia project

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Jan 7 14:56:22 EST 2010

trzewiczek at trzewiczek.info schrieb:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.
>
> I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
> cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
> will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
> any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
> double-click tool
>
> My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
> stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
> software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
> that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
> true?

I don't know exactly what you mean with that, but I doubt it's easier
with anything else.

Another option might be pygame + simple OpenGL though, if you are
planning on heavy use of Canvas-like things, that might be good enough &
less heavyweight.

> Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
> like OpenCV.

That has little todo with the toolkit. You need some
image-converting-code, I've written such for Cocoa, to convert OpenCV's
RGBA to OSX ARGB. But the last resort would be to save the images from
OpenCV and read them using Qt (or whatever toolkit you use in th eend.

Diez