Astronomy--Programs to Compute Siderial Time?

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Wed Jan 6 20:43:10 EST 2010

Roy Smith wrote:
> In article <hi2o39$hm0$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
>  "W. eWatson" <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a smallish Python library of basic astronomical functions?
>> There are a number of large such libraries that are crammed with
>> excessive functions not needed for common calculations.
>
> FWIW, if you have any interest in this kind of stuff, you must read the
> classic book on the subject:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Astronomical-Formulae-Calculators-Jean-Meeus/dp/094339
> 6220
>
> This is not some textbook which takes graduate level physics to understand.
> It's a straight-forward primer for people who want to use calculators to
> compute phase of the moon and stuff like that.
Thanks, but I'm quite familiar with it. My copy is some 10-15 years old.
  I suspect he never wrote a newer edition for any computer language. I
do have access to a C++ library, but I don't think that's going to do me
much good with Python.

My problem at the moment is finding either someone who has implemented
it or another similar module.

Note I posted just before you that I have found a siderial.py module,
but am not familiar with how one installs them or the doc mechanism.