Xah's Edu Corner: Teach Ourself Programing In Ten Years?

Alain Picard Dr.Alain.Picard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 16:48:57 EST 2010

[Aplogies about the wild cross-post follow-up --- I guess the topic really
 is relevant to most programming communities.]

Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com> writes:

> To see this in a different context, suppose you need to pass a
> important Math XYZ exam or review in your career or get a certificate,
> but you don't remember your Math XYZ.

There's a difference between cramming to remember XYZ, and never
having understood (or even been exposed to!) XYZ previously.  The
former is reasonable; the latter bound to fail.

> [SNIP] In my opinion, a solution to this is by installing
> the concept of responsible licenses. Please see this essay Responsible
> Software Licensing

IOW, you think IT will have to become like engineering and "grow up".
I.e. when your manager says "do XYZ in 7 days", you just laugh at
them, and your risk of being fired are minimal, because all other
certified engineers who could replace you also will laugh at him
because your duty of care to your profession and certification is
greater than the one you owe your bozo manager.

I'm, personally, not holding my breath.

If you want to change the world, you start by changing yourself.

Cheers,
                --ap