Exception as the primary error handling mechanism?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 2 16:48:35 EST 2010

On 1/2/2010 10:04 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> For my own interest, I want understand the run time behavior of python

That depends on the implementation.

> and what details causes it much slower.

A language feature that slows all implementation is the dynamic
name/slot binding and resolution. Any implementation can be made faster
by restricting the dynamism (which makes the imlementaion one of a
subset of Python).

 > Although people choose python
> for its programming efficiency, but sometimes the runtime still
> matters.

There is no 'the' runtime. Whether or not there even *is* a runtime, as
usually understoold, is a matter of the implementation.

> This is an important aspect of the language.

It is an aspect of each implementation, of which there are now more than
one.

Terry Jan Reedy