turtle, ipython, and pylab don't mix

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Wed Jan 20 09:40:32 EST 2010

Hello,

I am noticing a hard crash of the ipython interpreter, with the pylab
option, with the turtle module.  I am on Win XP, Enthought Edition
6.0.0 which uses Python 2.6.  I can't reproduce it without the pylab
option, nor on the Mac (with an earlier Enthought Edition).  The
crash happens only when I try to move the turtle window, after it has
drawn.  The following commands are enough to give the resulting error.

In [1]: from turtle import *

In [2]: pendown()

In [3]: forward(10)

In [4]: Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

Any ideas?  Of course, I'll use it without the pylab option, but that
means that there are two icons I need instead of one.  Minor
inconvenience for me, but a bit more of a pain for my students.

		thanks,

			Brian Blais

--
Brian Blais