Getting access to the process table from python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Jan 13 13:41:53 EST 2010

I need to get information about what processes are running on a box.
Right now, I'm interested in Solaris and Linux, but eventually
probably other systems too.  I need to know things like the pid,
command line, CPU time, when the process started running, and owner.

Has anybody written a module to do this?  I know I can run ps and
parse the output, or troll /proc directly, but if somebody's already
written all that, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.