A question about Python versions

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.no.spam.ac.nz
Wed Jan 13 01:09:01 EST 2010

I am learning Python, and using PyQt to develop a GUI that will be used to run a
Fortran program on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (I think Python is great, btw).
Without thinking about it I downloaded and started working with a fairly recent
Python version, 2.5.4.  I've now become aware of the existence of Python 3.1,
which apparently is a major revision of the language.  Does it make sense to
stick with Python 2.x at this point, or should I be starting off with 3.1?  If
it is recommended to stick with version 2, should I use the latest (2.6.4 or
2.7), and if so why?  Thanks.