Clarifications on compiling for Windows

peteshinners pete at shinners.org
Fri Jan 8 01:19:44 EST 2010

My presentation for Pycon is coming together, but I need to make sure
my information about compiling Python and Python extensions for
Windows is correct. I'm really only experienced with this on the Linux
side of things.

First of all, is the Windows FAQ fairly up to date? Should people be
referring to section 6 if they are going to build an application with
an embedded Python interpreter?
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/#how-can-i-embed-python-into-a-windows-application

If I understand correctly, compiled extensions for Python on Windows
should match the compiler that was used to build the interpreter
itself? Is there a list somewhere that shows which version of msvc was
used to compile the recent Python binaries?

Thank you for feedback. I definitely want to make sure I have this
correct before telling anybody else?