help with Python installation

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 03:52:14 EST 2010

On Feb 28, 12:51 am, gujax <rjngrj2... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you. I have a CD of Xubuntu. I tried
> booting up with the CD and was impressed. I noticed
> few problems with screen resolution, window size etc.

Though it may be worth working out any niggling problems to switch to
Linux, I don't think you should feel pressured to switch if you are
comfortable with Win ME on that particular machine.

> And no, I am not at all attached to Win, though wouldn't
> say the same for my computer.

It sounds like you could have switched to Linux and resolved any
configuration problems in the two years you've been trying to install
Python. ;)  But that said, I have used older versions of Python
without any trouble on Win ME.  In fact, I still have a Win ME machine
running 2.5.2.

According to the docs, you have to have Microsoft Installer 2.0
(freely downloadable from Microsoft if necessary) to use the 2.5 MSI
distribution:

  http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/

If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to do this, 2.3 still
has an EXE distribution:

  http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.3.5/

John