A more specific query ...

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.no.spam.ac.nz
Fri Feb 26 19:00:32 EST 2010

The PyQt4 problem results from having copies of the Qt DLLs in directories that
are in the PATH, as Doug Bell discovered.  In my case I have two programs that
use Qt, AMD CodeAnalyst and Matlab.  If I rename BOTH these directories I can
import the PyQt4 modules.

Since this behaviour did not occur with Python 2.5 and the previous PyQt I was
using (4.5, I think), it seems that something has changed either with Python 2.6
or with PyQt 4.7.

It would be very nice to learn how to fix this without renaming directories,
since I use Matlab frequently.

Gib