staticmethod and namespaces

darnzen darnzen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 10:32:48 EST 2010

On Feb 26, 3:15 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Am 26.02.10 06:07, schrieb darnzen:
>

> > Having an odd problem that I solved, but wondering if its the best
> > solution (seems like a bit of a hack).
>
> > First off, I'm using an external DLL that requires static callbacks,
> > but because of this, I'm losing instance info. It could be import
> > related? It will make more sense after I diagram it:
>
> > #Module main.py
> > from A import *
>
> > class App:
> >      def sperg(self):
> >           self.a = A()
>
> > app = App()
> > [main loop and such]
> >   -----------------------------
> > # Module A.py
> > import main
> > class Foo:
> >        Selves=[]
> >       def __init__(self):
> >                 Foo.Selves.append(self)
> >       @staticmethod
> >       def chum_callback(nType, nP):
> >                 # Need to access function / data in app instance
> >                 app.sperg(nP)
> >                 # Need to access func data in Foo
> >                 # I'm pulling 'self' ouf of list made in constructor
> >                 self = Foo.getSelf(nP)
>
> >       def getSelf(nP):
> >                 return self.Selves[nP]

> > So basically I added a list of instances to the base class so I can
> > get at them from the staticmethod.
> > What's bothering me the most is I can't use the global app instance in
> > the A.py module.
>
> > How can I get at the app instance (currently I'm storing that along
> > with the class instance in the constructor)?
> > Is there another way to do this that's not such a hack?
>
> > Sorry for the double / partial post :(
>
> Can you show how you pass the staticmethod to the C-function? Is the DLL
> utilized by ctypes?
>
> I don't see any reason you couldn't use a bound method, which would give
> you your self, instead relying on global state.
>
> Diez

__main__.K   << *facepalm* should of tried that!

Yeah I'm using ctypes. The DLL callback set ups are as follows. The
local callback is in the App namespace (in this case, some callbacks
are in different modules as noted in OP), but still no access to self:

        #Function wrapper
        A.expCallback = WINFUNCTYPE(None, c_int, c_int,  \
				POINTER(Data_s))(A.Callback)

        #DLL call to register the local callback function
        DLLSetCallback(self.hID, A.SubID, EVENTID, A.expCallback)

    class A:
        #Local callback function
	@staticmethod
	def Callback(hID, SubID, Data):
             print 'I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM OR WHERE I CAME FROM!!'
             print 'BUT WITH hID, and SubID, I CAN FIGURE IT OUT'
             print 'IF I STORE A REFERENCE TO MYSELF IN A DICT'
             print 'USING KEY GENERATED FROM hID, SubID'
             pass

I'm not sure why they need to be static callbacks, but the DLL doc's
say "when using object based languages, such as c++, callback
functions must be declared as static functions and not instance
methods", and I couldn't get it to work without setting it up that
way. I could probably have them all be "classless" functions, but with
100's of these, my namespace would be polluted up the wazoo, and I'd
still have the problem that they wouldn't have access to instance
methods / properties.