When will Java go mainstream like Python?

Chris Gray cg at graysage.com
Thu Feb 25 19:11:32 EST 2010

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:

> In message <op.u8nfpex8y5e8ok at laptopwanja>, Wanja Gayk wrote:
>
> > Reference counting is about the worst technique for garbage collection.
>
> It avoids the need for garbage collection. It means I can write things like

I'm by no means an expert, but how does reference counting deal with
arbitrary long cycles of references (btw I've *written* a simple
reference counter for a programming language)?

When I asked someone whose knowlege of Java I trust, he said that modern
Java's do both reference counting and garbage collection. That was 2 or 3
years ago. I would have guessed that Python was the same.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray