taking python enterprise level?...

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Thu Feb 25 06:21:30 EST 2010

On 02/25/10 10:26, simn_stv wrote:
<cut>
> what i am concerned about is scalability and
> efficiency, well, as far as the 'core' is concerned.
>
> would python be able to manage giving me a solid 'core' and will i be
> able to use python provide any API i would like to implement?...
<cut>
Python isn't the most efficient language, the assembler provided by the
maker of your CPU probably is the best you can get, everything after
that is a trade-off between performance and flexibility (flexible in the
most flexible sense of the word :-)).

That being said, for me, Python (well actually any turing complete
programming language), is more like a box of lego with infinite amount
of pieces.
Scalability and API issues are the same as the shape and function of the
model your making with lego.

Sure some type of pieces might be more suited than other types but since
you can simulate any type of piece with the ones that are already
present, you are more limited by your imagination than by the language.

So in short, I don't see any serious problems using Python, I have used
it in Enterprise environments without any problems but than again I was
aware not to use it for numerical intensive parts without the use of 3rd
party libraries like numpy. Which for me resulted in not doing the
compression of a database delta's in pure python but to offload that to
a more suitable external program, still controlled from Python though.

--
mph