The future of "frozen" types as the number of CPU cores increases

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Tue Feb 23 20:03:23 EST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:27:54 -0800, sjdevnull at yahoo.com wrote:

> Basically, multiprocessing is always hard--but it's less hard to start
> without shared everything.  Going with the special case (sharing
> everything, aka threading) is by far the stupider and more complex way
> to approach multiprocssing.

Multi-threading hardly shares anything (only dynamically-allocated
and global data), while everything else (the entire stack) is per-thread.

Yeah, I'm being facetious. Slightly. If you're going to write
multi-threaded code, it's a good idea to wean yourself off of using global
variables and shared mutable state.