What's Going on between Python and win7?

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:34:00 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:
> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with XP,
> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary Python/W7
> user. Is there a simple solution?

I know people went off on a tangent talking about symbolic links and
hard links, but it is extremely unlikely that you created something
like that by accident.  Windows just doesn't create those without you
doing quite a bit of extra work.  It certainly doesn't create them
when you drag & drop files around through the normal interface.

> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the  program in
> another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

You need to dig into the technical details of what's happening on your
hard drive.  You say you "copied a program from folder A to folder B".
 Can you describe, exactly, what steps you took?  What was the file
name of the program?  Was it just one file, or a directory, or several
files? What was the path to directory A?  What is the the path to
directory B?  When you open a CMD window and do a dir of each
directory, what exactly do you see?

You've given a pretty non-technical description of the problem you're
experiencing.  If you want more than wild speculation, you'll need to
give more specifics for people to help you with.

My wild guess: you held down control and shift while copying your
program.  That's the keyboard command to create a shortcut instead of
moving or copying a file.

--
Jerry