DreamPie - The Python shell you've always dreamed about!

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 12:13:50 EST 2010

This is bloody fantastic! I must say, this fixes everything I hate about
Ipython and gives me the feature I wished it had (with a few minor
exceptions).

I confirm this working on Kubuntu 9.10 using the ppa listed on the sites
download page.

I also confirm that it works interactively with PyQt4 and PyGtk (as to be
expected since these toolkits use the PyOS_inputhook for the mainloop).
However, it does not work interactively with wx (again, this is as expected
since wx doesn't use the PyOS_inputhook). In short, the gui toolkit support
is the same as in Ipython if you dont use any of the magic threading
switches, which are now deprecated anyway.

Matplotlib does not work interactively for me. Is there a special switch
that needs to be used? or should a pick a non-wx backend? (i'm thinking the
latter is more likely)

A couple of things I would like to see (and will help implement if I can
find the time):
1) A shortcut to show the docstring of an object. Something like Ipython's
`?`. i.e.  `object.foo?` translates to `help(object.foo)`
2) How do I change the color of the blinking cursor at the bottom? I can't
see the damn thing!
3) line numbers instead of the `>>>` prompt
4) a plugin facility where we can define our own `magic` commands. I use
Ipython's %timeit ALL the time.
5) Double-click to re-fold the output section as well.

Thanks for making this!!!!

Cheers,

Chris