The Disappearing Program?

rzed rzantow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 19:25:10 EST 2010

"W. eWatson" <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote in
news:hlls5c$89l$1 at news.eternal-september.org:

> I've successfully compiled several small python programs on Win
> XP into executables using py2exe. A program goes from a name like
> snowball.py to snowball. A dir in the command prompt window finds
> snowball.py but not snowball. If I type in snowball, it executes.
> What's up with that?

There is a ludicrous setting in Windows explorer that hides the
extensions for known file types, such as .exe. If you see "snowball"
in Win Explorer, that's probably the way your system is set. If you
click on Tools . Folder Options . View you should see a checkbox for
the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. Uncheck it, and the
disappearing program will return to view.

This is a separate issue for why snowball.py executes when you enter
"snowball" at the command line.

--
rzed