Can't Access ANY url from python (errno 61)

Sat Feb 20 19:00:17 EST 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:28:16 +0000, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> On 02/20/10 00:20, MattB wrote:
> <cut>
>>
>> Also, based on Martin's comment, I just wanted to make you all aware
>> that I intend no misuse, but rather am just trying to learn, as I'm a
>> programming noob.
> <cut>
> It wasn't my intention to imply that, rather the opposite, that if some
> BOFH would see your action as misuse (some admins are pretty trigger
> happy), you would expect them to contact you directly (I would). Even
> though you are on a wireless there are ways to track you down. For
> example I would search my log to see if I can make an association
> between a login to one of my servers and your mac address.

This may be what you would do, but in my experience, it is more likely
that the admin would be far too busy and/or lazy to try to track you down
unless (1) they wanted to give you a warning prior to expulsion, or (2)
they needed to know who you were prior to laying charges.

In my experience they're far more likely to just hit the problem with a
hammer by blocking you as much as is technically possible.

> BTW, I always followed the philosophy that learning is much more fun if
> you can brake/blow something up. Thus on my networks all students had a
> lot of freedom to do whatever they think was appropriate but they where
> aware that every action on my network was monitored and logged.

Unfortunately this is the exception rather than the rule, I think.

--
Steven