Executing Python code on another computer

James Harris james.harris.1 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:29:06 EST 2010

On 19 Feb, 15:52, SiWi <wimmersi... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello community,
> I googled for an answer of the following problem, but I couldn't find
> anything.
> I've got a netbook and my fast workstation compter, which I usually
> use for developing.
> But I'd also like to take my netbook around the house and to develop
> Python programms on it.
> The problem is that naturally a netbook is not the fastest computer
> you could find.
>
> So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
> developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
> script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
> netbook.
>
> Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

Yes. Assuming you can cope with the relatively small netbook screen
here are some options:

1. Telnet (ok within a home and where no graphics needed)
2. Ssh (ok where no graphics needed)
3. An X-Windows server on your netbook (ok under Linux but good
Windows X Servers may be limited or nonexistent)
4. VNC (e.g. RealVnc) to get a remote view of the workstation's
screen.

I use telnet and RealVnc for purposes similar to those you describe.

James