The Disappearing Program?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 10:16:20 EST 2010

Andre Engels wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Andre Engels wrote:
>>> No idea whether it has to do with your problem, but if it's executable
>>> in Windows, its name is snowball.exe, not snowball.
>>>
>> Not necessarily, it's perfectly possible to setup a Python script to run on
>> Windows using file associations in the same way that you can run a command
>> (.bat) file.  If the OP types the command "ASSOC .py" without the quotes at
>> the command prompt, the response .py=Python.File tells you
>> that this association has been setup.
>
> And how does that invalidate what I wrote? One cannot associate the
> empty extension, so if "snowball" runs a program, that's the program
> in the file "snowball.exe" not the program in the file "snowball" that
> has its extension associated to something - it has no extension, so
> its extension cannot be associated.

Darn, only half the story, sorry.  When the OP types snowball something
executes.  The command SET PATHEXT will show what file extensions are
set to run files.  On my system the response is :-

c:\Users\Mark\Java2Python>set pathext
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.PY

So snowball with any one of the 12 extensions listed above would run on
my system without actually typing the extension.  I'm just  guessing but
has an executable been created but in another directory, so snowball.py
is running?  Perhaps the best bet is simply to search appropriate
directories, or even the whole hard drive, for snowball.*.  Then the OP
would know exactly what he has or hasn't got.

HTH.

Mark Lawrence