The Disappearing Program?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 09:19:06 EST 2010

Andre Engels wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:
>> I've successfully compiled several small python programs on Win XP into
>> executables using py2exe. A program goes from a name like snowball.py to
>> snowball. A dir in the command prompt window finds snowball.py but not
>> snowball. If I type in snowball, it executes. What's up with that?
>
> No idea whether it has to do with your problem, but if it's executable
> in Windows, its name is snowball.exe, not snowball.

Not necessarily, it's perfectly possible to setup a Python script to run
on Windows using file associations in the same way that you can run a
command (.bat) file.  If the OP types the command "ASSOC .py" without
the quotes at the command prompt, the response .py=Python.File tells you
that this association has been setup.

HTH.

Mark Lawrence.