Upgrading Py2exe App

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:32:08 EST 2010

On Feb 18, 7:19 pm, Ryan Kelly <r... at rfk.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 07:46 -0800, T wrote:
> > I have a Python app which I converted to an EXE (all files separate;
> > single EXE didn't work properly) via py2exe - I plan on distributing
> > this and would like the ability to remotely upgrade the program (for
> > example, via HTTP/HTTPS).   Looks like it's not just the EXE that I
> > will need need to replace (DLLs, the library.zip, etc.).  What would
> > be the best way to go about doing this?
>
> I've been working on an auto-update framework for my own frozen apps,
> you might find it useful:
>
>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/esky
>
> Docs are a little scarce at the moment, the next release will hopefully
> come with a short tutorial (as well as support for cx_freeze and maybe
> py2app, depending on how adventurous I'm feeling).
>
>   Cheers,
>
>      Ryan

This looks pretty interesting and useful.

Just to help me understand it a bit more:  what is it that users will
download from some web page in order to initially get the py2exe'd app
on their system?  Is it "really" an "esky", with the app's .exe file
inside it (but the esky is named the same as the app)?  And then when
they want to update, the app's code calls the esky class to do the
work of swapping out the appropriate .exe file?  Something like this?
Sorry if I am confused as to how this works.

Would this also work if one used InnoSetup to install the exe on the
user's system?

Thanks,
Che