Which mock library do you prefer?

Lacrima lacrima.maxim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:26:33 EST 2010

On Feb 16, 10:30 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Lacrima <lacrima.ma... at gmail.com> writes:
> > And I have already refused to write totally isolated tests, because it
> > looks like a great waste of time.
>
> It only looks like that until you chase your tail in a long, fruitless
> debugging session because (you later realise) the behaviour of one test
> is being affected by another. Test isolation is essential to ensure that
> your tests are doing what you think they're doing.
>
> --
>  \       “A ‘No’ uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater |
>   `\       than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to |
> _o__)                              avoid trouble.” —Mohandas K. Gandhi |
> Ben Finney

Hi!

Right, isolation is essential. But I can't decide to which extent I
should propagate isolation.
For example, in "Python Testing: Beginner's Guide" by Daniel Arbuckle,
author suggests that if you do unittesting you should isolate the
smallest units of code from each other. For example, if you have a
class:
Class SomeClass(object):
    def method1(self):
        return 5
    def method2(self):
        return self.method1 + 10

According to the book, if you want to test method2, you should isolate
it from method1 and class instance('self').
Other books are not so strict...

And what should I follow as newbie?

Currently, I don't create mocks of units if they are within the same
class with the unit under test. If that is not right approach, please,
explain what are best practices... I am just learning TDD..

with regards,
Maxim