Interesting talk on Python vs. Ruby and how he would like Python to have just a bit more syntactic flexibility.

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:41:58 EST 2010

On Feb 16, 7:38 pm, Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_T... at istar.ca>
wrote:
> Interesting talk on Python vs. Ruby and how he would like Python to
> have just a bit more syntactic flexibility.
>
> http://blog.extracheese.org/2010/02/python-vs-ruby-a-battle-to-the-de...
> --
> Regards,
> Casey

Gary's friend Geoffrey Grosenbach says in his blog post (which Gary
linked to): "Python has no comparable equivalent to Ruby’s do end
block. Python lambdas are limited to one line and can’t contain
statements (for, if, def, etc.). Which leaves me wondering, what’s the
point?"

I'm sorry, lambda's do support if's and for's. Also, lambda's are
expressions, not statements, but you can pass them around, keep them
in a dictionary if you want to. And if you need more than one line of
statements, for crying out loud use a def? And who needs those "do-
end" blocks anyway, trying to turn Python into Pascal?