Parsing for email addresses

galileo228 mattbarkan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:58:27 EST 2010

Hey all, thanks as always for the quick responses.

I actually found a very simple way to do what I needed to do. In
short, I needed to take an email which had a large number of addresses
in the 'to' field, and place just the identifiers (everything to the
left of @domain.com), in a python list.

I simply highlighted all the addresses and placed them in a text file
called emails.txt. Then I had the following code which placed each
line in the file into the list 'names':

[code]
fileHandle = open('/Users/Matt/Documents/python/results.txt','r')
names = fileHandle.readlines()
[/code]

Now, the 'names' list has values looking like this: ['aaa12 at domain.com
\n', 'bbb34 at domain.com\n', etc]. So I ran the following code:

[code]
for x in names:
    st_list.append(x.replace('@domain.com\n',''))
[/code]

And that did the trick! 'Names' now has ['aaa12', 'bbb34', etc].

Obviously this only worked because all of the domain names were the
same. If they were not then based on your comments and my own
research, I would've had to use regex and the split(), which looked
massively complicated to learn.

Thanks all.

Matt