Updating Packages in 2.5 (win/numpy) and Related Matters

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:35:07 EST 2010

On 2010-02-16 09:37 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> On 2/16/2010 7:30 AM, Robert Kern wrote:
>> On 2010-02-16 06:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>>> I normally use IDLE on Win, but recently needed to go to command prompt
>>> to see all error messages. When I did, I was greeted by a host of
>>> deprecation and Numpy messages before things got running. The program
>>> otherwise functioned OK, after I found the problem I was after. Are
>>> these messages a warning to get to the next update of numpy?
>>>
>>> I would guess that updating to a higher update does not mean I need to
>>> remove the old one, correct?
>>>
>>> In general for libraries like numpy or scipy, I use win32 updates, but I
>>> see win32-p3 updates too on download pages. Since I may be distributing
>>> this program to p3 machines, will I need to provide the win32-p3 updates
>>> to those users?
>>
>> You will definitely want to ask these questions on the numpy-discussion
>> mailing list. They are numpy-specific. Please copy-and-paste the
>> messages that you get.
>>
>> http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists
>>
> Good idea, for the first part of this. I would think "In genera for ..."
> would be answerable here, but I'll give them both a shot.

Both parts are very numpy/scipy-specific, trust me. The reason that numpy has
binary releases for Pentium 3 machines is because we have SSE code of various
levels due to our accelerated BLAS libraries. This is very rare outside of numpy
and scipy.

And please provide the information that I asked for over in numpy-discussion.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco