plugin / intra process communication system

Florian Ludwig dino at phidev.org
Sun Feb 14 07:05:06 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 10:16 +0100, Paul Kölle wrote:
> Am 13.02.2010 10:50, schrieb Florian Ludwig:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for a module/plugin/intra-process-communication/hook system
> > for python. Maybe someone here could point me to some project I missed
> > or might have some good ideas if I end up implementing it myself.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The plugins you wrote probably import them from the wiki module directly
> > which means your blog would depend on the wiki. (?!) So where to put the
> > interface/[...] definition that is imported by those plugins? Create a
> > package/module just containing the interface? This really get
> > troublesome if different people wrote the wiki, the blog and another
> > third one a plugin.

> If you are talking about code sharing you can move the common code out
> of your applications in a seperate namespace. If you follow the model
> trac is using you would install a module/package/egg with the basic
> functionality of the pluginsystem (i.e. what's in core.py and env.py +
> logging and whatever you think is necessary).

> All shared code like your auth-plugins would go in a common plugin
> directory to which you can refer via PYTHONPATH.

You're right, its about code sharing/reusing - should have said it more
clearly. What I am looking for is the pluginsystem that makes this easy.
Here there problem with the trac (and other plugin systems I've seen)
approach:

You need to define something like:

| class IAuthPlugin(Interface): [...]
in your blog software.

Now within the open_id_login_plugin:
| from blog import IAuthPlugin
|
| class OpenIdPlugin(object):
|     implements(IAuthPlugin)

So the OpenIdPlugin is specific for the blog and hardly sharable.
Actually it is but it depends on the blog as it gets imported.

This might be thought of as an implementation detail but its seems
pretty common.

> Another common technique is chaining of WSGI middleware..., check out
> pythonpaste.org.

WSGI middleware just doesn't do it in some situations. Also it only
works out for web-based applications (my example was one but my question
was more general).

Thanks for your answer,
Florian

--