Selecting a file in a directory

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 20:45:32 EST 2010

On Feb 13, 7:28 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al... at start.no> wrote:
> * vsoler:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > My python script needs to work with a .txt file in a directory. I
> > would like to give the user the possibility to choose the file he
> > needs to work on in as much the same way as I open a .xls file in
> > Excel, that is, I want to make appear the "Windows'" window and let
> > the user choose.
>
> > I think this should be quite straightforward.
>
> > How should I proceed?
>
> At least in Windows one easy way is to delegate that responsibility to the
> Windows shell. When a user drags a file onto your script, your script is run
> with the path to that dragged file as argument. Or it can even be multiple files.
>
> Otherwise, tkinter has, as I recall, a standard file chooser dialog.
>
> These "standard" dialogs are generally called "common dialogs".

specifically Alf was referring to tkFileDialog.askopenfilename().
Heres an example...

import Tkinter as tk
from tkFileDialog import askopenfilename

root = tk.Tk()

def get_files():
    path = askopenfilename(filetypes=[('TXT', '.txt')])
    if path:
        print path

tk.Button(root, text='1', font=('Wingdings', 12),
command=get_files).pack(padx=5, pady=5)

root.mainloop()