Executing Commands From Windows Service

T misceverything at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:32:45 EST 2010

On Feb 11, 4:10 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 10/02/2010 22:55, T wrote:
>
> > Great suggestions once again - I did verify that it was at least
> > running the plink.exe binary when under LocalSystem by having the
> > service run "plink.exe>  C:\plinkoutput.txt" - this worked fine.  And,
> > as I mentioned, it's now working just fine when running under a
> > regular admin account.  So, I think that's going to be my solution to
> > avoid any further issues.  My best guess at this point (as you
> > mentioned), is that plink.exe is doing _something_ network-related
> > that LocalSystem doesn't have the privileges to do - what exactly it
> > is, I have no idea.  I may play around with it some more later, but
> > running the service under an admin account should be a perfectly
> > acceptable solution.
>
> > Also, I will be writing other Python apps that the service will be
> > executing - so it goes without saying that I'll be including a log to
> > file option :)  Thanks again for all your guys' help!
>
> I'm not sure if this has been said already, but a reasonably common
> approach to services is to create a user specifically for the
> service and grant it exactly the privs / perms it needs (once you
> work out what they are). You then assign it a generated password,
> eg a GUID which you don't even try to remember: simply cut-and-paste
> it in. Then create the service to run under that user.
>
> That way you don't have the service running under
> some local Administrator account with the associated risk
> of its being subverted and gaining more control than you
> want. Nor do you have it running as a real user whose
> password might change for any reason, leaving you with
> a service which won't start up.
>
> I don't remember at this moment whether such a user's profile
> is automatically loaded in the process when the service starts
> or whether you have to do the LoadUserProfile thing.
>
> TJG

Tim - thanks, that's the route I'm going to go.  I've created separate
accounts for services before, and there's no question that's what I
have to do in this case. I'm still having some issues running some
commands (such as one that takes a screenshot), even as an admin user,
but I think this is more due to the fact that it's trying to interact
with the Desktop..so there may be no good solution.

Btw great site..can't tell you how many times I've gone back to it.
Keep up the great work!