Dreaming of new generation IDE

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Feb 11 11:41:58 EST 2010

catonano a écrit :
(snip)
> Today, I tried to understand the twisted.web.client code and I found 3
> methods I couldn't find by who were called.
>
> I asked on the mailing list and they suggested me where they were
> called and that the tool for such thing is "grep".
>
> So, you grep, you get a list of files, you open each one of them and
> keep scrolling

May I suggest reading grep's FineManual ? with proper options, you'll
get not only the file, but also the exact lines (and lineno) where the
expression appears.

> If it's this, then it's not experimental at all, it's been done
> already and been put apart.
>
> Crap won :-(

Ever read "worst is better" ?-)

Now, image-based systems like Smalltalk do have their share of quirks
and drawbacks too.

Also, Smalltalk's toolbox can only be used by and for Smalltalk. A bit
autistic, he ?

I'm doing mostly web development nowadays. That means that I'm
constantly switching between server-side code (mostly Python or PHP but
  can be almost any other language), shell scripts, SQL, html + whatever
templating language is used by this project, javascript and css. And of
course quite a few configuration file formats...

So well, as far as I'm concerned, not having to learn 42+ different
toolboxes is a big plus (having to remember 42+ different languages is
already hard enough) - I can use a same code editor (Emacs) and standard
unix/linux text-handling tools on all my codebase.