Modifying Class Object

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Wed Feb 10 22:36:51 EST 2010

* Steve Holden:

> So now the whole thing boils down to "Alf against the world"? The
> reminds me of the story about the woman who went to see her son qualify
> from his basic army training. When asked what she thought of the parade
> she said it was very nice, but that "everyone but our Alf was out of step".

Considering your frequent ad hominem attacks (and this is yet one more), you
seem to think that social coercion works well for establishing engineering
solutions or scientific truth.

That's a misconception.

Social matters and matters of engineering or science are different things.

> I am unsure at this stage what it would take to convince you that you
> are not only wrong about several important aspects of Python but also
> wrong-headed.

You might start by starting a thread about one such thing; I'll correct you if
you're wrong about something I know, or if you demonstrate that I'm wrong about
something, then I'll be happy to learn something, as always.

It would be a nice change from your extreme focus on my person, if you could
manage to discuss something technical.

> Whenever anyone points out any aspect of your behavior
> which is unacceptable or ignorant you trot out this accusation that
> people are making "ad hominem attacks" as though commenting on aspects
> of your personality is an attempt to undermine your arguments.

That's an ad hominem attack, albeit a pretty silly one.

Your behavior, with ad hominem, coercion, insinuations, misrepresentations and
so forth the basic ingredients, is completely unacceptable to me, by the way.

It's like a bully in the schoolyard.

> It isn't. The two are orthogonal. Your arguments are wrong *and* you are
> behaving like a pratt. A change in either one of these aspects would
> improve matters, but each seems as unlikely as the other.
>
>> It also reflects rather badly on you.
>
> Sigh. We're all out of step again, obviously.

If you had any argument that held regarding the technical, then I think you (and
I mean the singular you) would have tried it by now.

But instead, you engage in this bullying behavior.

Cheers,

- Alf