Function attributes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 10 22:25:00 EST 2010

On 2/10/2010 4:49 PM, Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> I've written a decorator for "injecting" a __function__ name into the
> function namespace, but I can't find it anywhere. I think I implemented
> it by adding a fake additional argument and replacing LOAD_GLOBAL with
> LOAD_NAME in the bytecode.

The decorator only needs to replace the defaults args tuple.
It does not even need to know the parameter name,
just that it is the only (or last) with a default .

def f(n, me=None):
     if n > 0: return n*me(n-1)
     elif n==0: return 1

f.__defaults__ = (f,) # 3.1
print(f(5))
# 120

To generalize:

def g(a,b=1,me=None):
     if a: return me(0)
     else: return 41+b

g.__defaults__ = g.__defaults__[:len(g.__defaults__)-1] + (g,)
print(g(3))

Of course, user could still screw up recursion by providing another
value for 'me'. This strikes me as about a likely (low) as a user
screwing up recursion in a library module function by rebinding the name
in the imported module.

Terry Jan Reedy