Modifying Class Object

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Wed Feb 10 17:09:25 EST 2010

* Ethan Furman:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>> Believe me Alf, the fact that people are taking the time to try to
>> argue with you instead of just kill-filing you is a compliment.
>
> It's a compliment I am not paying, although I am grateful to those who
> are attempting to teach him.  At the rate it's going, though, I don't
> see myself buying any book he produces.
>
> Besides the arrogant attitude, he is wrong on so many things about
> Python it is truly stunning.

That's bullshit. I am probably wrong about many Python things, for this is so no
matter the language and the practictioner, but not any that you know about.

>  He seems to have confidence born of
> ignorance... a scary sight to see.
>
> In the spirit of being helpful and not just being a jerk myself:
>
> Alf,
>
> Using smileys after declaring somebody is mistaken/wrong/etc makes you
> look bad.
>
> Not attempting to learn the language makes you look like an arrogant
> idiot (case in point: passing-by-object).
>
> Accusing anyone and everyone that criticizes you of making ad hominem
> (sp?) attacks makes you look like a whiner.
>
> After all is said and done - if you had a truly good grasp of Python, I
> might buy your book even if you still had -- ummm -- a less than winning
> presence on the mailing list; but right now your understanding is not
> worth paying for.
>
> Hoping-this-helps-but-not-really-expecting-it-to-ly yours,

It's yet another ad hominem attack, which means that you're painfully aware of
supporting an untenable technical position, or supporting a clique of people.

It also reflects rather badly on you.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf