ANN: obfuscate

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 9 20:24:44 EST 2010

Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> writes:

> All algorithms in obfuscate are obsolete, insecure and only
> interesting for people *that* want to get well educated in the history
> of encryption.

Not true. Another use case is suggested by the chosen name for the
library: to obfuscate text against casual human reading, while not
making it at all difficult to decrypt by people who are motivated to do
so.

The classic example is rot-13 encryption of text in internet messages;
it would be a failure of imagination to suggest there are not other,
similar use cases.

> Grab pycrypto, m2crypto or one of the other packages if you need a
> minimum amount of security.

Agreed. However, for cases that *don't* need security from determined
attackers, I don't think those obviate the usefulness of this library.

--
 \     “Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature |
  `\                            cannot be fooled.” —Richard P. Feynman |