Modifying Class Object

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Tue Feb 9 19:06:02 EST 2010

* Steven D'Aprano:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:04:08 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>
>> You thought you cold do a bit of ad hominem attack.
>
> That phrase you keep using, "ad hominem"... it doesn't mean what you seem
> to think it means.
>
> An ad hominem attack is not when somebody makes a criticism of you
> personally. It is when somebody says something along the lines of "Don't
> pay any attention to Alf, he doesn't know what he's talking about, he's a
> <whatever>".

<url: http://www.tfd.com/ad+hominem>
ad hominem Latin [æd ˈhɒmɪˌnɛm]
adj & adv
1. directed against a person rather than against his arguments
2. based on or appealing to emotion rather than reason Compare ad rem See also
argumentum ad hominem

> You might not like the personal criticism, but that doesn't make it
> either an attack or a fallacy.

Steve Holden attacked only at the personal level, via characterization.