Programing family

Tue Feb 9 18:31:32 EST 2010

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:49:21 +0100, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2010, at 8:39 PM, AON LAZIO <aonlazio at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have thought funny things
>>> If we think all languages are like a family
>
> Then it would be a very incestuous family fore sure.
>
>>> I could draft them like this (Python base)
>>>
>>> C is Python's Mom
>>> C++ : Dad
>
> Not that much C++ in Python, IMHO. If that's for the OO part, then the
> closer to Python's object model I can think of is javascript.

I thought that Javascript didn't even have inheritance until recently?
Like in the last year?

> Historically, Python comes from ABC, which itself comes from SETL.
>
>>> Pascal/Assembly : Grandparents
>
> Assembly ? What about binary machine code then ?-)

I'd say assembly is more like the distant answer, back when we still had
tails and lived in trees and worried about being eaten by eagles.

>>> C#   : Uncle
>>> Java : Ant
>
> Interesting typo here !-)
>
> Hmmm... Python predates both C# and Java. Ok, technically speaking
> nothing prevents an uncle or aunt from being younger than their nephews,
> and I even saw the case a couple time - but that's far from being the
> common case.
>
>>> Ruby: Cousin
>>> Perl : Girlfriend
>
> Then it's kind of a very passionate love-hate relationship - bordering
> on pathological FWIW !-)

I'd say that the girlfriend is more likely Lisp or Haskell -- some of the
more functional aspects of Python have been inspired by these languages.

--
Steven