Python and Ruby

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Tue Feb 9 16:41:34 EST 2010

On Feb 9, 1:51 am, waku <w... at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
> 'stupid', 'wrong', 'deficient', 'terrible', ...  you're using strong
> words instead of concrete arguments, it might intimidate your
> opponents, but is hardly helpful in a fair discussion.

In today's day and age, I don't know how a text editor which cannot do
simple indentation can be considered anything but "stupid", "wrong",
"deficient", and "terrible". There is simply no excuse for this kind
of behavior on the part of the text editor.

I mean, how long has vi had the auto indent feature? How many decades
has emacs supported the same? This isn't new technology, or difficult
technology to implement. It's not even non-standard anymore. Heck, far
more advanced features, such as syntax highlighting, are standard in
all text editors.

Your problem is you're using something like Windows Notepad to edit
your code. Windows Notepad is a terrible tool for writing anything,
let alone writing code. Why in the world would any programming
language adapt itself to the mental deficiencies of Windows Notepad? I
mean, if you were an artist, would you use MS Paint to do anything
serious? If you did, would you complain that the art world has a
problem because they don't accept your paintings?

I strongly suggest you download one of the *hundreds* of free text
editors available for the Windows platform that give you the
indentation features you so sorely lack. I suggest ViM, though it has
a steep learning curve.