Modifying Class Object

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 8 06:59:02 EST 2010

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * Steve Holden:
[...]
>> Alf:
>>
>> This topic was discussed at great, nay interminable, length about a year
>> ago. I'd appreciate it if you would search the archives and read what
>> was said then rather than hashing the whole topic over again to nobody's
>> real advantage.
>
> Well that's my point, and thanks for backing me up on that :-): it's
> very simple, and as demonstrated can be expressed in 10 words or less
> (plus perhaps a terminology reference, as I did above), so all that
> discussion and in particular the lengthy article at effbot serves as
> obfuscation and nothing else.

Please don't assume I was trying to support you. Your remarks showed
considerable ignorance of issue that were extremely nuanced. Whatever
point you were trying to make was lost in your self-aggrandizing
disrespect of Fredrik Lundh, a software engineer of some repute with a
long history of contribution to Python. The fact that your post was
basically a restatement of one of the several competing positions in
that thread makes it no more right than any of the others.

> By the way, most every programming language has some corner like that,
> something that is utterly simple but somehow has some kind of
> obfuscation-meme attached.

Why thank you for the education. Somehow in my 40-odd years of
programming I had quite overlooked that fact. Which helps how?

> In C++ it's "call" and "constructor". It doesn't help that the
> language's standard lays down the law on it, it doesn't help that the
> language's creator has laid down the law, it doesn't help that it's
> utterly and completely simple. Somehow newbies and even some experienced
> people manage to create their own terminological nightmare  and drawing
> conclusions about reality from that misguided obfuscated view, and then
> discussing it up and down and sideways.

Which IMHO you have done little to assist. Just how exactly *do* we
succeed in asking you not to discuss something?

yours intemperate-ly  - steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/