[PyOpenGL-Users] Mouse wheel events?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Mon Feb 8 01:26:14 EST 2010

Craig Berry wrote:
> Can someone please tell me if there's a way to do this, or answer
> definitively that there is no way?  I have a design in progress that
> could really use mousewheel control, and I don't want to settle for
> Plan B until I know Plan A is impossible. :)
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 19:48, Craig Berry <cdberry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to get mouse wheel events from glut in PyOpenGL?
>>
>> --
>> Craig Berry - http://www.cine.net/~cberry/
>> "Lots of things in the universe don’t solve any problems, and
>> nevertheless exist."  -- Sean Carroll

Didn't I answer this already?

GLUT on windows usually does not catch mousewheel events for me.
(Although it seems to me that is has worked sporadically over past years
and versions.)   GLUT on Linux does catch wheel events nicely -- but
read on anyway...

Freeglut (which is open source) is an (almost) direct binary replacement
for GLUT, and it *does* catch mousewheel events.  (On both Windows and
Linux.)

Is there a reason this answer is not satisfactory?  If you're not
*forced* to use GLUT, use FREEGLUT and your problem is solved with no
additional work.

If you *are* forced to use GLUT, rebel.  GLUT has not been maintained
for more than 10 years, is showing its age, and is licensed in such a
way that you can't modify it.  Use FREEGLUT instead: see
http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/