Modifying Class Object

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Sun Feb 7 22:27:07 EST 2010

* Steve Holden:
> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> * MRAB:

>>> A reference is not the same as a pointer.
>> Depends on your choice terminology. I referred to the Java (language
>> spec) terminology to make it clear.
>>

>>> A pointer tells you where something is; a reference doesn't.
>> Sorry, I don't know of any relevant terminology where that is the case.
>>
> Alf:
>
> This topic was discussed at great, nay interminable, length about a year
> ago. I'd appreciate it if you would search the archives and read what
> was said then rather than hashing the whole topic over again to nobody's
> real advantage.

Well that's my point, and thanks for backing me up on that :-): it's very
simple, and as demonstrated can be expressed in 10 words or less (plus perhaps a
terminology reference, as I did above), so all that discussion and in particular
the lengthy article at effbot serves as obfuscation and nothing else.

By the way, most every programming language has some corner like that, something
that is utterly simple but somehow has some kind of obfuscation-meme attached.

In C++ it's "call" and "constructor". It doesn't help that the language's
standard lays down the law on it, it doesn't help that the language's creator
has laid down the law, it doesn't help that it's utterly and completely simple.
Somehow newbies and even some experienced people manage to create their own
terminological nightmare  and drawing conclusions about reality from that
misguided obfuscated view, and then discussing it up and down and sideways.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf