Possible? Python 2.6.x and PythonWin on 64-bit Windows 7

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:55:05 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM, escalation746 <escalation746 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I am having a heck of a time doing the simplest thing: installing
> Python and the pywin extensions, including the PythonWin editor I have
> always relied on, into my new Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS. I
> tried the Python package from python.org and pywin32 from sourceforge.
> But the latter would not install, saying that it could not find Python
> 2.6 in the registry. And apparently it will not let me specify the
> location of same, although a dialogue window tantalises me with blank
> text boxes I cannot type into.

Saying, "the Python package from python.org" is insufficiently specific; are
you sure you got the 64-bit version of BOTH packages? If you install 64-bit
Python, any extensions must also be 64-bit.

If you look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/ you'll notice
separate builds for 64-bit, marked amd64. Are you sure you got the
pywin32-214.win-amd64-py2.6.exe and not the normal one?

Alternatively, you can just get the 32-bit version of both and install them.
But you can't mix and match, 32-bit one, 64-bit the other, in that case they
won't find each-other.

--S