Your impression of for-novice writings on assertions

David ldl08 at gmx.net
Sun Feb 7 12:07:33 EST 2010

Hi Alf,

I think you talk too much... :-) Basically I am all for a verbose
approach in a text for beginners, but on the other hand it is necessary
to stick to the point you are making.
When, for example, you introduce your reader to the thoughts of Francis
Glassborrow on page 5 of chapter three, then the only relevant point you
are making is the following: "Many programmers hide the structure of
their code behind their comments [which is to be avoided]". If you
insist on a proper citation here, then use a footnote, but even there I
would suggest you merely offer the link. As it stands you are not to the
point, and frankly, as a beginner I have enough stuff troubling my head
so that I do not need superfluous information as to the evolution of the
things you are talking about. Just the facts, please.

My 2 cents,

David