method names nounVerb or verbNoun

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 04:56:41 EST 2010

On Feb 5, 3:36 pm, Chris Rebert <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>
> <st... at remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > For instance, if getting or setting the voltage is an expensive
> > operation, you don't want to fool the user into thinking it is a cheap
> > attribute access.
>
> I strongly disagree with this rationale as it violates the Uniform
> Access Principle
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_access_principle). Though I
> concede Python's builtins don't adhere to the UAP.

And I strongly disagree with the Uniform Access Principle.  I want my
accesses to an object to be explicitly "data-like" or "method-like",
even if

Based on the Wikipedia page, Meyer's main reason behind UAP seems to
be to minimize the need to break interfaces: the UAP is a means to an
end.  Python achieves that end without the conforming to UAP,
therefore it doesn't need it, and there's no reason to adhere to it.

Carl Banks